Category Archives: Watir-Webdriver

Attach to a manually opened Chrome browser using debuggerAddress

Problem Watir-Classic can attach to manually opened browsers. This is a great benefit when using Watir to aid manual testing efforts. It is also helpful when developing automated tests. However, for the longest time, this was not possible with Watir(-Webdriver). … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged , , | 1 Comment

Set styled radio buttons and checkboxes that have hidden or overlapped the input field

Problem There seems to be an upward trend in applications using label elements to style radio buttons and checkboxes. This can cause issues when Watir tries to set the field. For example: Setting a jQuery Mobile checkbox, results in the … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Finding the next empty text field

Problem As I continued to investigate making Watir-Classic tests compatible with Watir-Webdriver, I noticed one test that failed to input the next empty row of a text field grid. The grid could start empty or it could start with rows … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir Migration, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Watir 6.0 is the end of the Watir metagem

The Watir gem started out as driver for IE through the OLE protocol. In 2012, version 4.0.0 changed Watir into a metagem that, based on the desired browser, used either Watir-Classic (the original implementation) or Watir-Webdriver (the Selenium backed implementation … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Classic, Watir-Webdriver | Leave a comment

Toggle a checkbox

Problem Checking a checkbox is as simple as: Clearing a checkbox is just as easy: What if you want to toggle the state of the checkbox – ie check it if its unchecked or uncheck it if it is checked? … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Classic, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged | 16 Comments

Unhiding the overflow:hidden in DevExtreme select lists

Problem When Dev Silver asked me how to automate a DevExtreme select list, it seemed like a simple task. It looked like any other set of elements styled as a select list. It worked! Well… at least for some options. … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged , | 2 Comments

Translating a headers attribute to text

Problem I was struggling to determine a cell’s headers associated via the headers attribute. The table was large with auto-generated ids, which created headers attributes like: Finding each of the header cells became tedious, so I turned to Watir for … Continue reading

Posted in Watir, Watir-Classic, Watir-Webdriver | Tagged | Leave a comment